Staying hydrated throughout the day is important for people of all age groups. The importance of staying hydrated, however, increases for new mothers. The reason is new mothers ignore taking care of their health and dedicate all their time to caring for the newborn. Most new mothers are unaware of the fact that dehydration can be a serious problem and result in some serious health problems. Whether you are working or a homemaker, dehydration can lead to a number of problems such as dizziness, headaches, and dry mouth. As a result, it is necessary to take some small steps to take care of your health during this delicate phase of life. If you are a new and nursing mother, read on to know the importance of drinking water and ways to stay hydrated.
How Much Water do you Need in a Day?
There is no specific amount of water that you need to drink, however, make sure that you drink the recommended amount of water to avoid dehydration. The amount of water needed for new moms differs from person to person and also on the weather conditions. For instance, if you are quite active, you need to drink more water as compared to someone who is less active. Keeping a check on the signs of dehydration is a great way to drink sufficient water. Dry lips, dark-colored urine, headaches, dizziness, or constipation are some of the signs that you need to look out for to avoid dehydration.
Lactating mothers are at a higher risk of dehydration. Drinking enough water is necessary to cope with the bodily changes that you face during this time. The fluid loss during this phase may leave you tired and also lead to constant headaches. Sipping water at regular intervals is a great way to stay hydrated.
How to Stay Hydrated?
Staying hydrated doesn’t mean you need to completely depend on water. There are many water-based foods and vegetables that you can include in your diet to stay hydrated.
Here are some of the easy and effective ways that will help you stay hydrated
Be a Water Baby
Nothing can replace the benefits of drinking clean and safe water. Make sure that you keep sipping water throughout the day to avoid any health problems. Keep a bottle of water handy so that you don’t need an excuse to stay dehydrated. However, make sure that you avoid bottled water and switch to water purifiers to stay safe from diseases. RO water purifiers use different stages of purification to remove impurities and make water safe for consumption.
Snack on Water-Based Foods
Junk food is hard to resist, however, to get the maximum benefits snack of water-based foods. Water-based foods such as watermelons, strawberries, cucumbers, yogurt, and lettuce are a great way to keep yourself hydrated. These food items are not only high in water content but also tasty at the same time. You can easily make yummy fruit salads, juices, or smoothies with these water-based foods to get the maximum benefits.
Considering the busy schedule, especially if you are a working mom, you may skip drinking water leading to dehydration. Setting reminders on your phone can be of great help in dealing with dehydration for new moms. Keep a bottle of water handy to ensure that you don’t find an excuse to avoid drinking water.
For many of us, a hot cup of coffee in the morning is something that we can’t do without. However, keep a check on the amount of caffeine intake. Excess dependence on caffeine can lead to serious dehydration among new mothers. Instead of caffeine, you can switch to healthy juices, soups, milk, and smoothies.
Why Hydration is Important for a New Mother?
Here are 10 great reasons to drink more for new Mother:
- Breastfeeding requires extra fluid intake to produce milk, and dehydration can decrease milk production.
- Dehydration can lead to fatigue and lack of energy, which can be especially challenging for new mothers who are already sleep-deprived.
- Proper hydration can help prevent constipation, a common issue for new mothers.
- Breastfeeding can cause thirst, so it’s important for new mothers to have water or other hydrating beverages readily available.
- Adequate hydration can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating, which can be a concern for nursing mothers.
- Drinking enough water can help flush out toxins and promote overall health, which can be especially 6. important during the postpartum period when the body is healing.
- Dehydration can cause headaches, dizziness, and nausea, which can be difficult to manage while caring for a newborn.
- Proper hydration can help prevent urinary tract infections, which are more common in new mothers.
- Drinking enough water can help maintain healthy skin, which can be a concern during postpartum hormonal changes.
- Adequate hydration can help boost mood and prevent feelings of anxiety or depression, which can be common among new mothers.
Last Few Words
Those were some of the easy tips for new mothers to stay hydrated. If you are severely dehydrated and suffer from constant headaches or dizziness, visit a doctor immediately. Drinking water is the best way to stay hydrated. For safety purposes, install a water purifier to drink safe and clean water. If you don’t have a water purifier, check out the collection of water purifiers from KENT.