Hard water is one of the major problems that India is dealing with at present. Though hard water is fit for consumption without any treatment, it also has an impact on your hair skin, and appliances. Water with high mineral content such as calcium and magnesium (120-180 parts per million or PPM) is considered hard water. The high concentration of these minerals leads to several problems such as itchy skin, and rough hair and also damages your appliances. While you can remove the contaminants from drinking water, it is impossible to use homemade methods to make hard water soft. The only way to make hard water soft is by using a water softener.
Do you need a Water Softener?
A common question that many people ask is how will they know if they need a water softener. You need to look out for some telltale signs, which indicate that you need a water softener. Some of the signs that you need a water softener are:
- Skin Problems– Hard water doesn’t remove soap from your skin. The residue left on your skin makes it itchy and dry.
- Dry and lifeless hair-Not just soap, but hard water doesn’t wash off the shampoo from your hair leading to dry scalp, hair fall, and dandruff.
- Scaling on the bathroom fixtures– If your bathroom fixtures have a lot of scaling, you need to install a water softener.
- Frequent repair of appliances– Hard water has an excess amount of calcium and magnesium, which leads to scale buildup. As a result, you need frequent repairs
- Stains on bathroom tiles– Hard water doesn’t remove soap lather from your bathroom. The soap scum and dirt mix up and leave stains on your bathroom tiles.
- Stains on crockery– The dishwashing bar that you use doesn’t wash off properly, thereby leaving stains on your crockery.
- Clothes losing shine-The detergent that you use doesn’t wash off when you use hard water. As a result, your clothes lose shine and softness.
Benefits of a Water Softener System
Here are some of the benefits of installing a water softener:
Hard water causes a mineral build-up in the water pipes. The mineral buildup narrows the area through which water can move and requires high pump pressure. This also increases the amount of energy that is needed to keep water hot or cold. Soft water doesn’t have excessive calcium and magnesium that cause buildup in your bathroom fixtures, thereby saving you from costly repairs. In addition, the water softeners from KENT don’t use electricity, which also helps in saving power bills.
The benefit of Water Softener on Hair
Soft water is beneficial for hair. The minerals present in hard water don’t mix well with shampoo, thereby forming a precipitate which is known as soap scum. When you use soft water, it helps in balancing the pH level, which doesn’t make your hair dull, dry, or lifeless.
The benefit of Water Softener on your Skin
The minerals present in hard water remove the natural oils of the skin, which makes your skin dry. Bathing in hard water can have an adverse effect on your skin as the minerals in present remove the natural oils, thereby making it itchy and irritated. When you use soft water, it contains fewer minerals, which makes it easy for your skin to absorb and hold moisture.
Last Few Words
Using a water softener is an ideal and effective way to make remove the minerals that cause hardness and make water soft. The range of water softeners from KENT uses a non-electric and chemical-free ion exchange process to remove hardness and make water soft. You can choose from point-of-use and whole-house water softeners depending on your preference. To find out more about KENT water softeners, click here.