Water makes up 70 percent of our bodies. However, as winter approaches and the temperature drop, the air becomes dry and our bodies get less moisture as compared to summer. One of the main reasons for less moisture in our body is a lack of water. As winter approaches, our water intake reduces to a great extent which affects our health. Even if you invest in herbal teas to keep yourself warm in winter, nothing can beat the advantages of drinking sufficient water. The only thing that you need to remember is to drink clean and safe water. Choosing one of the best water purifiers will ensure that you not only stay hydrated but also safe from water-borne diseases. In this blog, we discuss why is it important to drink sufficient water in winter and how much water should you drink.
Why don’t we feel thirsty During Winter?
Though the temperatures are not very high during winter, however, it brings some of its own heat in the form of room heaters and furnaces. Even if we don’t sweat during winter, however, we still lose water through the stream that flows out of our mouths when it’s cold. Our bodies need to be properly hydrated, irrespective of the time of the year. Thirst is a late indicator of dehydration and implies that our body functions have already been compromised. Some of the symptoms of dehydration during winter are dehydration, flaky skin, dry cough, nose bleeding, and mild headaches.
The effects of dehydration can be worse during winter which makes it important to keep yourself hydrated. During winter, there are higher chances of catching a cold or the flu. Dehydration also makes it difficult to maintain your winter weight. When you don’t drink enough water, your body doesn’t have the energy to break down fat from the food you eat into energy. In addition, we often confuse thirst with hunger which leads to weight gain. Considering these factors, it is necessary to drink sufficient water during winter.
How Much Water is Enough during Winter?
Similar to all the factors related to health, the amount of water you need to drink depends on your gender and activity levels. Here are some of the general rules that you need to abide by to stay hydrated during winter.
- Men need to drink at least eight to 10 glasses of water a day
- Women need to drink between six to eight glasses of water a day
- Lactating and breastfeeding women need to drink at least seven to 10 glasses of water a day
- Men who indulge in physical activities need to drink 10 to 14 glasses of water
- Women who indulge in physical activities need to drink eight to 12 glasses of water
The only important point that you need to remember is to drink safe and clean water to avoid infections. KENT provides some of the best RO water purifiers that remove contaminants from water and also provide a number of health benefits.
What are the important tips to stay hydrated?
- In addition to drinking water, you can also drink warm soups to stay hydrated. Soup has a lot of water which helps you stay hydrated. You can also add some seasonal vegetables to the soup to give it a healthy twist.
- Include green tea in your diet during winter. You can choose from a variety of flavors of green tea such as Chamomile or Tulsi. Green tea not only helps you stay hydrated but also helps to keep a check on your winter weight.
- Keep yourself hydrated during exercising. Make sure that you drink water before, during, and after the workout to ensure that your body gets sufficient water. As already mentioned already, thirst indicates that you are already dehydrated.
- Eat water-based fruits and vegetables to stay hydrated. The natural sources of water will ensure that you stay hydrated and also keep you healthy.
Last Few Words
Drinking water during winter may not appeal to your taste buds. However, to keep yourself healthy and avoid dehydration, you need to drink sufficient water even during winter. Follow the tips mentioned above to avoid dehydration and its ill effects. Ensure that the water that you drink is free of contaminants to stay safe from water-borne diseases. To buy some of the best RO water purifiers, visit www.kent.co.in/water-purifiers/ro/